This morning we left the dock at 8 AM. With the wind forecasted to build throughout the day, we figured our best bet would be to get out there as early as possible (provided, of course, there was light to see) and get back when the wind became to heavy. With a well full of chum, we set out to find some sharks.
After a few hours during which we saw, teased, and cast to plenty of lemons, blacktips, and bulls, the wind became strong enough that we had to set the anchor a few times before it would hold. Rain started coming towards us from the east, and we relocated one last time.
Due to the cloud cover and ever-increasing wind, we decided to use the last of our chum on a conventional stand-up rod and hook some fish. I landed one small lemon (about 50 lbs) before handing the rod off to Ben Austin, who had one break through the wire and another spit the bait after he came tight.
Not a particularly great day, but we did capture. I came home, tied up some day-off loose ends at work, and went out in the evening to some local dock lights and hooked a handful of baby tarpon on fly.
Speaking of sharks, there should be a decision soon on Capt. Aaron Snell’s and my pending 1-kg tippet lemon shark capture from November–I’ll keep you posted and complete the report with some photos. Ben apparently has some photos from today; I’ll get them out of him as soon as possible and try to get them up if they’re any good.
Tight lines–tomorrow is slated to be windy, yet less than today. Sunday the wind dies; Monday I’m heading to the Dry Tortugas for an adventure with Capt. Chris Trosset and Michael Hetzel. As always, I’ll keep you posted.